Carbohydrates have gotten a pretty bad rap in the past few years. It seems like carbs have been the culprit for many health issues. The simple truth is, carbohydrates are an important part of a healthy diet. Here are a few important facts to keep in mind about our misunderstood ally in the fight to stay fit:
Out of Breath? Send in the Carbs!
- Oxygen deficit is described as “the difference between oxygen intake of the body during early stages of exercise and during a similar duration in a steady state of exercise.”
- In order to fuel your workout, protein and fat both need oxygen. Carbs don’t.
- In those early stages of exercise, carbs are responsible for 100% of your body’s fuel.
Customise Your Carbs
- The Glycemic Index (GI) of a carbohydrate indicates the effect of that carb on an individual’s blood sugar level.
- Low-GI carbs such as soy products, fruit, beans, whole grains and nuts are great for helping to keep cholesterol under control.
- High-GI carbs like potatoes, white bread, pasta and short-grain rice are ideal pre-workout foods. Think of consuming high-GI carbs before exercise as “filling the tank” before starting your car and hitting the road.
Herbalife24® CR7 Drive Is a Great Source of Carbs
- This carb blend provides a mixture of different carbohydrates to help performance.
- Brain fuelling glucose helps promote quick and accurate decision making.
- Co-developed with Cristiano Ronaldo to support ideal hydration during physical activities.